June 16, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect!

We are nearing the end of McKenzie's ballet class and are in frenzied preparation for the big recital.  When I originally signed her up for ballet I figured it was a couple of months and then a performance of sorts in front of the parents.  Boy was I wrong.  We have been diligently dancing our way through every Saturday morning since September and are preparing for a grand finale show at the Edmonds Center for Arts.  I also didn't realized I was signing myself up to be a stage mom.  I knew there was a costume and that I'd have to brush Kenzie hair and make sure she had clean tights on but I was not prepared for the detailed instructions I received.

Hair is to be curled in ringlets, half up, half down.  Eye liner is something I can opt to use with the required lipstick, mascara and blush.  I'm not much into make up myself so all this is taking some getting used to.  I had to do some trial runs with the hair and makeup to make sure I was able to pull it all off for class picture day.

Here's McKenzie on one of her practice hair runs.  We're testing to see if the curlers were going to work or if I needed to buy a curling iron.  Thank goodness I saved the hot rollers I received for Christmas in high school.  They finally came in handy!


Finished product! Beautiful curls to go with the headpiece for her costume.  I'll save the big reveal of the whole costume for after the recital but as you can see from the colors here, it is bold!


It's fun that there is an element of participation for me in the kids activities.  It keeps me learning and expanding my own world!  From this experience I have confirmed that I'm not cut out to be a stage mom but I will enjoy this little venture while it lasts.

2 comments:

Dana said...

omg so cute!! thank goodness Emilie doesn't have to have her hair up for hers! Especially since she doesn't have hair. :-)

Gina Lillie said...

No offense, but I am glad I have a boy. I can't do my own hair and make-up. My daughter would be doomed. Great job!