December 1, 2010

Mamma's Little Helper

Getting our tree.

I love to get the house ready for Christmas, my favorite part is decorating the tree. Since we've had kids, the tree has been getting decorated after they were safely in bed.  This year we had a very special helper. McKenzie helped me to decorate the tree and put up all the holiday decorations inside the house.  Then she ventured outside to help Matt put up the lights.


She loved being able to help and was so excited to show Benny the morning after we decorated. He took one look at the lights on the tree and started screaming 'hot, hot, hot' and trying to blow on the tree. I wasn't too worried about this misunderstanding.  I figured this might keep our tree intact if he thought it was 'hot'. He figure out pretty quickly that it was not hot and in his mind it became fair game to touch.

After the first glass ornament broke into a million pieces I sorted the ornaments into two piles - Kenzie's and mine. That system worked to keep us from breaking all the fragile ones. It did not keep Kenzie's on the tree though. She wanted to hang everything on the very end of the branches and if possible several on one branch. So it was a careful dance to decorate the tree, her concentrating on exact placement, me concentrating on not letting her catch me moving the ornaments further into the tree.


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Here's a view of the tree and fireplace.  This year we have the tree back in the family room even though we really enjoyed the tree in the dining room last year.  I love the tree and fireplace combo.


Ben and Kenzie working at their new daily activity of moving ornaments around on the tree. So sweet!

No comments: