December 30, 2010

Good Old Fashioned Fun

When I was a kid we didn't have a lot of fancy toys that made noise, cartoons weren't on the television 24 x 7 and so we had to find our own fun with what we had. Sometimes I think that kids today don't have the chance to use their imagination enough since they always have things around to keep them occupied.

The week before Christmas the kids showed me that even though they do have lots of fun toys and movies around they still can use their imaginations and create fun for themselves out of the simpler things in life.

Bubble wrap that arrived almost daily with our online shopping deliveries was a huge hit at our house over the holidays. The kids loved to jump on it no matter if it was huge bags of air or the tiny bubbles.


I must put in a little side note here to tell my faithful readers that my online holiday shopping was a huge success. I received all my packages that I ordered before Christmas this year.  Even the last minute one I ordered on December 22nd. I guess if you spend enough money online you can earn some good shipping karma after all!

Ben also enjoyed playing in the various boxes we accumulated over the holidays. There really should be extra recycle pickups or something after Christmas so you can get rid of all the extras. We have a crazy pile of boxes that might be here all year at this rate. I guess Ben can enjoy them while they last.


McKenzie is also getting into pretending to be different people or things but this time she wasn't pretending to be anything.  She was just dressing up beautiful - or 'beau-ti-all' as she would say!


I hope they keep using their imaginations and finding the wonder in the simple things in life.  It will take them much further than any fancy toys or cartoons ever can.

No comments: