June 12, 2009

ROI

In today's economy everyone is looking for a little return on their investments (ROI). Well, I have found the answer. If you have small children and are seeking a little bit of freedom from constantly entertaining them. Invest heavily in large play toys for them.

Grandma and Grandpa C and Aunt Kacey and Uncle Eric and Daddy and I chipped in and bought McKenzie her own little kitchen for her birthday. Boy does she love this thing. She has spent countless minutes playing independently with her kitchen cooking. Any safe independent playtime for McKenzie means time for me to get something else done like feeding or bathing Benny or tackling my giant laundry pile. We gave her the kitchen on her birthday and she was so excited but the real excitement came the next morning. When she woke up and I went to get her out of her room she pushed past me frantic to see if her kitchen was still on the landing or if she had just dreamed it. She ran over and started making me some breakfast and then didn't even want to take a shower when I took one which is a first as well. The other really funny thing is that she mostly just uses the microwave. I have noticed this fact in all the play kitchens I've observed her in. She will put food in, push the buttons and then say "beep" and take the food out. Looks like Mom might need to start using the oven a bit more!

So far the kitchen has been worth its' weight in gold. Lucky for us since this thing weights a ton!



Benny has a some exciting news of his own. Last weekend I tried giving Ben some rice cereal. He just wasn't too sure about that so I gave up. Last night at dinner time he was really making a fuss in his highchair and was intently watching us eat so I decide to try again. He did a lot better this time and ate every last bite. Then he slept through the night for the second time ever! I am hoping and praying that this small change of adding rice cereal at dinner time will be what it takes to get him (and me) sleeping all night. Here's to hoping for a second night tonight.

Here's Ben eating, followed by a rerun picture of McKenzie during one of her first eating adventures.



My favorite part is the food hand print on Kenzie's forehead! What was she thinking?

3 comments:

jess said...

I'm jealous of the mini-kitchen! I always wanted one of those when I was a kid, she's a lucky little girl. BTW, I got a SLICE! I couldn't resist any longer:) I may have to blog post about it.

Gina Lillie said...

Can't wait for Atticus to come over and have McKenzie cook him a meal in her new kitchen. And, this one doesn't have door, so he can get away if he wants to. HA HA.

Kelli said...

Will Ben's hair ever lay down? I can't wait for his senior photos...perma-hawk! :)