April 22, 2009

Prospectives


This time of year it seems like my entire yard is dotted with dandelions mocking me in their race to dry out and spread their 'wishes' before I can find the time to remove them. I see them as a nuisance and a weed. I relish the removal of each flowering plant from my yard because I know it's one less flower that can spread its seeds across my yard.



My sweet McKenzie sees them as beautiful flowers, made all the more lovable by the fact she is allowed to pick them to her hearts content. Having kids really lets you see the wonder in everything and the pure joy that can be had even from the smallest thing.




Another little happiness that I have for now is that McKenzie thinks dandelions that have gone to seed, ready to be blown around as wishes are "icky." Hopefully I can get all the dandelions removed from the yard before she discovers a love of blowing wishes. For now when McKenzie picks the dandelions we throw them into the creek and watch them float away, waving bye-bye to her "pretties"... sorry to those who live downstream.

4 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Too cute. I love her sitting in the sun with the Dog-A's.
We are still trying to get past the idea that dandelions are yummy and should go right in the mouth.

Kelli said...

That last picture of McKenzie with the pups is precious. Needs to be blown up and framed somewhere! i never thought about it, after living in the desert for 6 years, but we don't have dandelions that I can think of! My children will have to learn to blow wishes on Saguaro Cactus needles? :)

Kim said...

Des and I stopped at what we thought was a lemonaid stand to support local small businesses in a housing development in Renton. Actually, it was a flower shop. What were the little girls selling? Beautiful dandilions that they had picked from their yard....and I concur with Kelly. Blow that puppy up, because it is darn cute!

Carl Z said...

Another great post! Great text / great photos - Colleen - you are the best :-)