April 6, 2009

Baby Monkey!

About a month ago Gina and I made plans to go to the zoo on Sunday rain or shine. Lucky for us it turned out to be super sunny! We were also joined by Aunt Jennifer, Uncle Chris, cousin Claire and every family with a child under ten for what turned out to be a great day. It's always nice to be outside in Seattle when the sun is out, even the zoo animals agreed! A lot of times you go to the zoo and end up looking at habitats instead of animals which for the age of kids we're dealing with it's the end of the world. But this trip to the zoo all the animals were out on parade.

I had both kids in the stroller and I put Ben in the 'newborn bed' on the stroller (see picture below) and then McKenzie got to ride in the front seat. This worked out great because it gave McKenzie a great view of the animals and Ben was out of the sun. This Phil and Ted Sport stroller is still my favorite purchase since having Ben. It has really enabled me to get out and about with the kids and keep them both comfortable and safe. Ben did get a little time to view the animals with the help of the Baby Bjorn which he can now go in facing out due to his excellent neck strength.

With all sorts of animals to see McKenzie's favorite was not a huge surprise. There was a baby gorilla that was putting on quite a show. McKenzie could not get enough of the "baby monkey." Uncle Chris took her up close to get a good look at the gorillas and she did not want to leave. The gorilla put his hand on the glass at one point and McKenzie put her hand on the other side of the glass, it was too cute but I was too slow with the camera.

Here's Uncle Chris and McKenzie at the gorilla exhibit.




McKenzie proved once again she is one smart little girl. She decided she didn't want to wear her sun glasses when we arrived at the zoo so she tucked them under her leg to keep them from falling out of the stroller. I saw this and told her that was a smart thing to do so she wouldn't lose them. She really took this to heart because later on when I gave her a ham and cheese sandwich I noticed she suddenly was only eating the cheese and so I looked around on the ground for the rest of her sandwich. Then I noticed that she had tucked the ham under one of her legs and the roll under the other. Sweet, not going to lose that sandwich either.

Here's McKenzie with Atticus - you can see she has her sandwich before she stashed it.


It was a great trip to the zoo - we're looking forward to many more trips this year to see that baby monkey."

Here's Ben in the newborn bed on the stroller taking full advantage of it being a bed.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Love it!

Gina Lillie said...

That was such a great trip. I can't wait to go again.

Life with Manny AND Keaton AND Nolan said...

McKenzie hiding part of her sandwich under her leg is about the funniest thing I ever heard!! You might want to check under her bed, in drawers to see what else she may be hiding. So funny!!!

k keith said...

oh, OH! Colleen - I think I lost a little bit of coffee out my nose reading that part about the sandwich. I can just hear you saying it. 'Sweet...'
:D!!