January 28, 2009

Oh Baby!

If anyone has been watching the date you know that today January 28th was our scheduled c-section date for Baby Boy Z. Surprising all of us he decided he couldn't wait and arrived in a hurry on Monday January 26th at 5:58 am. He was 6 lbs, 5 oz, 19 1/2 inches long and we have (finally) decided to name him Benjamin (Ben) Vincent Zaremba. Here's a picture of him snuggling. You can see his cool hair, it can make a very cute little mohawk.



He was exactly 9 days early just like McKenzie . He couldn't be outdone by his big sister I guess. He too decided to cause a little excitement with his arrival - no scheduled c-section for him. Matt and I decided on Sunday night to have one last night out and we had our friends Andrea and Travis come over and watch McKenzie or in all honesty her baby monitor since she was in bed when we left. I'd been having pretty good contractions for over a week but nothing regular so life went on. We came home from the movies around eleven and went to bed. At 2:30 am I woke up with a pretty bad contraction which was soon followed by more so I got up and started timing. They were about 5 minutes apart and so I called the doctor and they transferred me to the hospital who said to come in and get checked out but no need to rush in. I woke Matt up and we finished packing and then woke up McKenzie and we left our house around 4:00 am and headed for Kacey's house which was the opposite direction from the hospital. By the time we were on I405 heading back towards the hospital the contractions were 1-2 minutes apart and steady pain. We got there and went to check in at around 5:00 am. Matt and I still thought we would be taking things slowly. We thought that they would slow the contractions and then we'd just have the baby sometime that day.

I got taken back to triage and they hooked me up to the monitor and then determined that I was 10 centimeters and fully effaced and that the baby was coming now! They started to think we might not have time for the c-section which didn't sit well with me since the idea of going through labor again was not very appealing let alone without medication! They found the on call doctor who determine that we should try for the c-section so we were rushed off to the operating room for the spinal and then moments later they delivered a screaming, flailing Ben into the world.

He looks a lot different than McKenzie did. He has darker blue eyes and brown hair instead of McKenzie's light blue eyes and blond hair at birth. He's just as cute as McKenzie but he definitely looks like a little boy. It's amazing how different they are already. I'm doing a lot better this time too. Not as much time on the IV so little to no swelling and I was able to get up and walk around a little on Monday about six hours after he was born.

We took until late last night to decide on his name. We had to get to know him a bit to finally decide what to call him. Mom, Dad and McKenzie are all in love with him already and can't wait to introduce him to everyone! Here's some pictures and there will be many many more to come.

Here's his sweet face. He's been a very good baby so far. He squeaks instead of crying.


Here's Ben with his proud Papa!



The whole family. This is when McKenzie first got to meet her baby brother.



Baby Ben and his momma. I look a little more excited than he does.


Me at full capacity - side profile as requested before. You can also see the wall decals we put up in his nursery. I'll post more pics of the nursery later but it looks great.



Off to sleep for a bit!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is perfect! I love the name too! Congratulations you are amazing. I can't wait to see you both. - Kristy

Esther V. said...

Handsome little man!!!
Congratulations from Esther, Karyn and Janis/Colin,Charlotte,Christopher and Jackson...
your Canadian Cousins!

jess said...

Congratulations Colleen, Matt, and McKenzie! So excited that Ben has arrived....I was over at Gina's house a few hours ago and she told me the exciting news! Can't wait to see some Ben scrap pages (and to meet him, of course)!

Heather said...

He's adorable!! Enjoy those sleepy cuddle times!! I miss those. :)

Rich and Stephanie said...

COngrats!!! We heard the news from Jen and then his name from Matts mom. I think he is adorable and you are so right boys come out looking just like little men or boys. I am excited to meet him. Congrats and give him and Bid Sis a hug from us all. Hope to see you soon.

Gina Lillie said...

I'm so excited he is here, and I can't wait to meet him. Glad you are doing well. CONGRATS!
P.S. Love the nightgown!

Anonymous said...

What beautiful babies you bring into the world! We are so happy to hear about Baby Ben's safe arrival. Handsome name for sweet boy. Glad to hear you are doing well, Colleen. Love the nursery design.
Love & blessings to all of you,
Aunt Nancy and Uncle Bob

S and J said...

Congratulations! You were HUGE! I guess I didn't ever see you before McKenzie was born. When things settle down for you, I'll come up and meet the both of them, last time I saw McKenzie, she was sleeping.

FishDaze Adventures said...

Congratulations Zaremba family! Baby Ben is adorable!

Thom and Melissa said...

Thanks for the tip! And congratulations on Baby Ben - he's adorable!

Anonymous said...

All you need for a perfect baby is a purple UW Championship t-shirt!!!