April 4, 2012

It's Not A Competition

McKenzie seems to have inherited a bit of a competitive streak.  After Ben's Emergency Room visit it seems this little girl felt she needed a special hospital visit as well.  The kids and I like to take an early Spring trip over to Grandma and Grandpa C's house each year to try to catch some sunshine.  This years trip didn't disappoint and we had some nice sunny days. We headed over on Friday night and caught the last of the day's sun and then had dinner and got into bed.  Unfortunately, the kids didn't stay there.  I typically don't let the kids sleep in the same room but I thought we'd try it and see what happened.  They were suppose to be sleeping on the bottom bunk of the bunk bed but the loud crash that followed let me know that wasn't happening.  McKenzie was on the floor holding her arm saying her bones hurt.  She said, "I thought I could fly." Oops... you can't.

I wasn't sure if she was just scared or really hurt but her arm didn't have any visible signs of injury so I put her back in bed and got Ben situated in the other bedroom.  I decided we'd check back in the morning.  Anyone who's ever tried to remove a sliver from McKenzie's body knows that she may be a little dramatic about injuries sometimes.  It was a rough night that led to only one conclusion we had to take another visit to the Emergency Room.  Ben got to stay with Grandpa and Grandma C and I packed Kenzie off to get the arm checked out.  

Here's our patient being wheeled around with her baby doll.  The doll was not injured in the jump from the top bunk.  Again I opted to leave the good camera in the car.  


Kenzie got X-Rays taken of her arm and I thought it looked okay but the doctor quickly pointed out that it was actually broken. Guess I'd better stick to my day job and forget medical school.  She was diagnosed with a supracondylar fracture to the right humerus.  She got an adult sized sling and directions to put ice on it and see our regular doctor on Monday.  


The sling was useless and when we got into our regular doctor on Monday she was surprised that it didn't have at least a splint on it.  She put on a splint and referred us to an orthopedic doctor for a cast.  Kenzie heard cast and the first thing she said was "Can it be pink?"  We got a cast on it and her mobility is back at record levels, the cast keeps it from moving and also keeps her from bumping it on everything.  She'll have it on for four weeks and then she'll be as good as new.  

Pink princess with her pink cast

The other great thing we learned from all of this is that casts are now able to go in water.  So no more wrapping your cast in bags to take a bath.  Swimming is back on the agenda.  The doctor even checked her off to go to a bounce house birthday.  

Lessonslearned:
1)  Humans cannot fly unless they are in an airplane
2) We are not having a competition to see who can visit the ER the most
3) My girl is pretty tough, nothing can slow her down (guess I already knew this one!)

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

I am honestly surprised this is her first broken bone. Let's hope it is her last. What a little trooper.