December 27, 2008

Silent Night!

  • Doll Stroller from the Variety Store in Chelan $4.99
  • Setting Up McKenzie's Big Girl Room Free from Grandpa & Grandma C
  • Monkey Sheets from Pottery Barn $59.99
  • McKenzie sleeping in her big girl bed Priceless!


Yesterday my mom spent all day over at our house helping me clean and organize the old guest bedroom into McKenzie's big girl room. Then my Dad and Uncle Eric came to deliver her big girl bed. We got it all set up and made some adjustments today and got it ready for the trial run.

McKenzie has been a great sleeper her whole life - I'm praying to the sleep gods that I'll be as lucky this second time around. She started sleeping through the night in her own crib in her own room at a month and a half and has only had a few hiccups on that sleep schedule since. The biggest issue actually has been if we aren't at home and she has to sleep in the same room as us. She is definitely not a co-sleeper, she doesn't want to just cuddle up and lay with us instead if we try to bring her into our bed she seems to go crazy, jumping on us and laughing. Not too funny for us when all we want to do is keep sleeping. I was a little worried about how the transition to a big girl bed might go given her desire to just play while on real beds.

Matt headed out to the gym and I got McKenzie ready for bed, we brushed her teeth, put on her pj's and then gathered her stuff - multiple babies, flat monkey and a blanket and headed for her big girl room. We read three books laying down in her bed and then I got up and told her goodnight and I'd see her in the morning. She sat up and waved at me and so I closed the door... and went into the office next door with the baby monitor and started scouring the Internet for articles on how to make the transition from crib to bed... better late than never I figured. I could hear her in her room playing, knocking on the door and just making noise for about 45 minutes and then the action slowed and gradually became silence. It's pretty typical for her to play for that long before falling asleep, we usually hear her in her crib for that long.

Matt called on his way home from the gym and I told him to call again when he reached the driveway so I could let the dogs out without them barking, terrified we'd wake her up. When he got home we got the camera and crept upstairs, pausing to peek under the door thinking we'd see her laying on her floor. We were pleasantly surprised to find her fast asleep in her bed with her many babies and her beloved baby stroller.

We'll see how the rest of the night goes and the morning but I'm relieved that is is possible for her to fall asleep in her own bed by herself! Here's hoping for a silent night!

Yes, we did remove the baby stroller from her bed after taking the picture.

4 comments:

Mommy Herrman said...

YAY!! Matthew mentioned success in the big girl bed and a posting would be coming soon! Incredible! Nice work Colleen :) We are so excited! She looks like she loves it... We can't wait to come see how the room is all set up.

Anonymous said...

That is such a cute picture! My sister and I had strollers just like that one when we were little and it was one of our favorites!

Gina Lillie said...

Impressive. We are revisiting sleeping through the night right now. So jealous.

S and J said...

Love the picture and the fact that the baby stroller didn't seen to affect the sleeping situation. Hope things are going well. We finally had to get Gretta a kennel she's not fond of sleeping through the night...not that I'm suggesting a kennel if the big girl bed doesn't work...it is pretty mobile though:)