June 12, 2012

Thriving on Auto Pilot

We have been having way too much summer time fun and I've gotten a bit behind on everything so it's time to play catch up.  The garden is just one of the many things around here that is a bit on auto pilot and luckily it has done fairly well despite the lack of attention.  The rain that stuck with us this year right up until July 3rd really helped cut down on the need to water the garden.  These pictures are from June 19th which was almost  four weeks ago so I'm due for new pictures, just one more thing for my list.

Here is the things we were able to enjoy out of the garden by June 19th:
* Radishes (they are all gone now)
* Lettuce - more frequent use of this has prolonged our plants this year
* Chives
* Rosemary
* Sage
* Thyme

Items that didn't make it:
* Pepper plant - I believe this didn't get enough water at first being inside the red plastic or maybe it was the lack of sunshine




My first tomato on the vine - this one is from my large variety not my sun gold cherry tomato plants.  This tomato plant is my shortest plant but was the first to flower.



The peas are loving the netting I put up.  Next year I'll have to make it stronger since it started to sag as the bamboo poles moved in the dirt.  



A bee enjoying a beautiful flower on our chives that wintered over from last year.  I never figured out if the flowers were good or bad for the plant, they were so beautiful in the sea of greens that is my garden.



So far it's been a good year for the garden, I'll work on another update soon to share more real time details.  

No comments: