June 6, 2012

You Are Special Today

My Mom has a red dinner plate that she would bring out on our birthdays and occasionally other special days.  Around the edge of the plate it said "You Are Special Today".  I loved eating off of that plate and the feeling of knowing I was special even just for that moment.  I think about that red plate often and plan to will get one of my own so my kids can have that special memory as part of their lives too.  In the spirit of that plate I try to find little ways to make everyday things special for the kids.


Why eat another boring dinner at the table on a Saturday night?  We opt to head out to the backyard for a bonfire and picnic.  Anyone with kids knows how dull yet another meal can be, change it up, make it special.






Keeping up with someone's personal hygiene besides your own can be less than thrilling.  Change up the old routines a bit with a mini spa night at home.  Recently I turned on some soothing tunes on the iPhone, soaked the kids feet in the sink and spent a little time relaxing with the kiddos and enjoying each other.




Being a parent is challenging and it can get very repetitive with all the upkeep these little people need.  When I get overwhelmed with all the daily details I need to just think of the red plate and find a way to make today special for the kids and for me.

No comments: