November 16, 2010

Silent 'S'

Less commonly known than the very popular silent 'E' or 'H', the elusive silent 'S' is used often at our house by McKenzie. I've become an avid interpreter of the silent 'S' for those who don't speak McKenzie. Some of my favorite examples are 'no' for 'snow', 'nail' for 'snail', 'nake' for 'snake'... you get the picture. You have to be very alert when listening for the silent 'S', if you come to a point in the conversation where you aren't following what she's saying, just stop and listen for words that might contain the silent 'S'.

One night last week before bed McKenzie asked me to get in her bed and 'nuggle' her. Normally I'm not one for hanging out endlessly in her room at bedtime but how could I resist the offer of a 'nuggle'? Now she knows my weakness.

Someday, McKenzie will learn that she's been using silent 'S' incorrectly but for now I'll enjoy every one of them. Just for the record silent 'S' is part of the English Language.


Silent S
S is not pronounced before L in the following words:
- island
- isle

Here's the kids 'nuggling' on the couch on Saturday morning - adorable! Note McKenzie does not suck her thumb, she is just being silly for the picture.

1 comment:

S and J said...

I don't know, between the pronoun confusion and the silent s, I'm having a hard time. She might be one of those kids who confuses her homonyms and does not pass the state standardized test....you'll only have yourself to blame:)