April 19, 2010

Snakes and snails...

and puppy dog tails... isn't that what little boys are suppose to be made of? Not at our house. While McKenzie enjoys sugar and spice and all that's nice she's definitely into backyard creatures. As long as the nature stays outside the house she can love it all she wants.



This past Sunday was a beautiful day and we spent most of it outside enjoying the sun. Matt found five frogs while he was mowing the lawn. McKenzie discovered a snail, which is pronounced in Kenzie speak as 'nail'. She was amazed by that little snail and how it could stick to the side of a rock. Luckily, she headed in for a nap and the poor thing was able to scoot off somewhere for a rest.

That afternoon we went to Flower World, an amazing nursery close to our house to pick up some plants and we ran into McKenzie's friend Riley while we were waiting to check out. I told McKenzie to tell Riley what she had found in the backyard and she screamed at the top of her lungs "A Snake!"  This to most of the people around us seemed more like an announcement of an actual snake than a confused term of a child. I quickly corrected her that she meant 'snail' but the damage was done. Guess we can just think of it as adding excitement to other peoples day.

Here's our boy and his puppy dog with no tail. Ben had discovered the dogs in the past few weeks He gets very excited to see them and wants to ride on them. Our sweet pups are very patient with him and just lay there while he 'pets' them. Ben's pronunciation of dog is currently 'da', we haven't been adding the 'ga' on for him like we did with Kenzie since that resulted in months of 'da-ga'.


On Saturday it was rainy so we took the kids to Funtasia, a family fun park near our house. Neither Matt or I had been there since high school.  Not much has changed but it was a fun family outing which had a few of our favorites, like pizza, lots of buttons to push and a ball pit. Here's our race car driving Ben showing us how it's done.


Two weekends ago I escaped for an afternoon out for tea with some of my favorite ladies to help celebrate my friend Misty's upcoming wedding. What a fun day out with the girls! My mom came over from Chelan for the event and was able to borrow a collection of vintage hats for us to wear.  Playing dress up never grows old.  Looking forward to growing older with these ladies.



Now for a little look alike game. When we were over visiting Grandma and Grandpa C in Chelan, Grandma C showed McKenzie some old photos of me when I was her age. She looked at the pictures and said "that's me!"  And I do have to admit I can see the resemblance but it might just be the hair.

I'm on the right and Kacey is on the left.  I had to have pockets added to my pants because Kacey had pockets.


Now here's Matt at about the same age. I see a lot of resemblance in the amount of teeth in that beautiful smile. The Look A Like Meter did vote for me but I'm not sure still.

5 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Matt looks exactly the same! Great vintage pics. Love it! Atticus love the nature too. He always wants to "hold it". Even if it is a huge animal, like the hippo at the zoo.

Kim said...

Colleen - the meter lied - your children look like their father... :D

Kelli said...

OMG...love the hats. Too fun! The kids are adorable -- as always!

Mommo said...

I think McKenzie is a beautiful blend of both her Mother and Father! ....I look forward to finding frogs with McKenzie this summer. She certainly is very intently involved with the snail.

Carl Z said...

Nice post! It's sure a good thing that your blog also appears each year in an annual, published, hard-bound edition. It's definitely coffee-table material.