December 8, 2009

Christmas Trees and Sunglasses!

Doesn't get much better than that if you ask me! This past weekend we went out on our annual family Christmas tree hunt in the beautiful Seattle sun.




This year the journey didn't take us very far from home, but I think we scored our best tree ever. We got a beautiful Nobel Fir that looks as wonderful as it smells! At this house we have always put our tree by the fireplace and had a complete Christmas scene in there with the stockings and everything but at our old house we used to put the tree in our front window because there wasn't room by the fireplace. I loved seeing it glowing in our front window on dark nights. I had been thinking of proposing we try the tree out in our dining room this year. But what really sold me on moving the tree was our small mobile friend Ben who just loves things he shouldn't have. With the help of a couple of baby gates the dining room can be barricaded off to preserve a perfect Christmas scene.

So we have the tree in our dining room and I think it looks fantastic. Our dining room really shouldn't be called a dining room since I can easily count the number of meals we've had in there in the past five years. Having an official dining room was one of the requirements for me when we were house hunting. I'm still glad I have an official dining room but we use it as much more. The dining room has evolved over the time we've lived here. When we moved in it was a lovely two tone purple room with chair rail exactly halfway from the floor and ceiling. The room made me feel shorter than I already am which isn't good. Here's a before shot with the previous owners table and many wall hangings. I can't tell you the number of holes we've patched in the walls around here.


Long story short I was on a home improvement TV show - 'Toolbelt Diva' with Norma Vally, amazingly the show is no longer on the air. But they did a good job of helping me to redo the dining room.


Here's the crew that was at our house for an entire weekend - when they finished shooting a scene they would all put down their gear and start painting and nailing. It was a pretty crazy adventure!


After the show Matt got me a dining room table for Christmas and then a year or so later the matching china cabinet. We had it set up as a traditional dining room until last year at Christmas time when we had a holiday party and needed more room in there and moved the table against one wall and it made an amazing difference and we have used that room so much more ever since. Not necessarily as a dining room, more of a game play room but it's nice to actually be fully leveraging the space.

So now we're prepping for this years holiday party and the room is looking even better with our Christmas tree in there. Note: I've intentionally cut off the top of the tree in the picture so those who are wondering what tree topper we are using will have to come over to see!


This post is actually a week behind. I got busy and never posted the entry last week! More coming soon!

3 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Those sunny winter days remind me of Pullman winters. Nothing is more fun than sledding on a plastic dining tray!

jess said...

Holy schnikes Colleen! I didn't know you were on a home improvement show! HGTV is like crack to me, I totally dream of someday getting help redecorating a room. Divine Design is one of my favorites. Love the after shot, total improvement!

Kim said...

Did you ever find the topper? Oh look, I am on the blogs. Will I blog? Well? Will I, punk?