July 14, 2008

The Adventures of a Flat Monkey...

Where to begin? Flat Monkey, as he is lovingly known to those who have seen him, entered our lives before McKenzie. He came rolled up, hiding his true wonderful shape, as part of a fantastic diaper cake that I received at a baby shower from Matt's cousin Cassandra. There were many fantastic things in that diaper cake but the very best thing was flat monkey.





Flat Monkey is a bright pink monkey shaped toy without stuffing except for in his head. He looks a little like a cross between a puppet and what you might imaging a flying squirrel might look like. From the time she could grasp things McKenzie has been loving Flat Monkey. He has been everywhere with us and is a constant bedtime companion. In an effort to wash flat monkey once in a while and to ensure we always have something around to love, he has been joined by two other flat friends - Flat Elephant and most recently Flat Hippo an import from our trip to Banff.

Last Monday when we were getting ready to go to the zoo we stopped at Rite Aid to run an errand and when we got back to the car I looked for Flat Monkey to put in the car seat with McKenzie but couldn't find him. I was sure she hadn't taken him into the store so I figured he had jumped ship before we made it to the car at home. We went on to the zoo had a great time and then got home and McKenzie went down for her nap. I looked everywhere for that monkey, in the house, the yard, the car twice. Nothing. I talked to Matt and he accused me of ruining McKenzie's childhood. Then I decided to call Rite Aid just in case.

I called and asked if there was a lost and found and there was. I then had to describe the item I was looking for. I just dove in knowing it wasn't going to get any better... "it's a bright pink flat monkey, like a toy without stuffing." I was put on hold so they could send someone to look, I just knew they were laughing as they called this around the store... then someone else got on the line and she said "no, there's nothing like that in the lost and found, but I did see something like that out of place on one of the shelves, let me go look." She came back on and said "Well, there's no mistaking this is the item you are looking for, it's definitely a pink flat monkey." Thank you Rite Aid for taking the time to reconnect McKenzie with her friend.

Here's a little tribute to the Flat Monkey...






Flat Monkey is McKenzie's BFF.


2 comments:

jess said...

Flat monkey is adorable! Loved that your husband accused you of ruining McKenzie's childhood, hilarious. My childhood version of flat monkey was a big brown teddy bear that I so cleverly named "Mrs. B.", short for Mrs. Bear (genius, even as a child). I know that if I had lost Mrs. B., my life as I knew it would have been ruined. Admittedly, I still sleep with Mrs. B. when John is out of town. And the answer to your next question is 31, I am 31 years old.

Just posted some new scrapbook pages on my blog, per your request:)

Gina Lillie said...

I can't wait until Atticus discovers his love for his flat frog. I am glad to hear flat monkey wasn't lost forever!