May 16, 2013

Peat Bog Parade

In the Spring after being cooped up indoors for months on end we'll use any excuse to get out and enjoy some fresh air.  A brief sun break and the need to get some lunch sent us out on a Sunday afternoon to enjoy a nice walk through the peat bog near our house.  There is a great boardwalk through the bog that is accessible year round and you can walk from one of our favorite parks over to a shopping center with many lunch choices.  There was a new bakery we had been wanting to try out so off we headed on our adventure.

Cheesy smile Ben - trying to get a good smile out of him these days sure is trying.



McKenzie looking like she is on the catwalk modeling instead of just walking along the boardwalk in the peat bog.  



Daddy letting the kids be dare devils and walk on the edge of the boardwalk.  This makes me very nervous because of what happened on one of my first trips to the peat bog.  It was way back in 2002 or so before we had kids and I brought Indy down to the peat bog for a walk.  She was loving running along on the boardwalk and I stopped to read a sign about the bog and she didn't stop but jumped off the boardwalk probably thinking it was just ground but instead she was totally sucked up by the bog and all I saw was bubbles coming up from the oozy mud.  It took long enough that I considered if I was going to jump in to find my dog before I saw her surface.  She was covered in nasty mud from the tip of her nose to the end of her little tail.  Such a mess and scary there for a bit.  So I do worry about the kids falling into the bog because I've seen what can happen.



The whole family shot with giant dark clouds in the background.



Loving this view of my big and little man walking hand in hand after we left the bog.



No idea what the kids have found to eat but I do like the different looks on their faces - not sure either of them is going to eat what McKenzie has in her hand.  The bakery was good and Ben added another food item to his approved list - he now likes croissants.  



View of the bog on our way back across to the car.  Beautiful place to enjoy the big sky and nature year round.




No comments: