May 14, 2013

Budding Scientists

The kids are like little scientists who love trying new stuff as much as I love trying out new stuff.  They are always eager to jump into new project with little care that Mommy doesn't really know what the heck she is doing.  I love my vegetable garden and I love to find new types of things I can grow that my family enjoys.  We love making roasted potatoes and so after seeing my friend Gina's potatoes from last year I decided I was diving in.  I agonized over which type to grow, I knew I wanted baby potatoes but had a hard time deciding before I was sort of forced into my choice by my growing constraints.  The variety that was available bulk was the Russian Fingerling and since I decided to do a container and not grow them directly in the garden I had to limit my potato starts.  I bought a growing bag and 5 starter potatoes and a big sack of soil.  To my surprise when I got home and opened the container package I had 2 containers so I could have probably started more potatoes but this will be my learning year I suppose.  I cut up the potatoes so I left an eye on each plant and had the kids bury them in six inches of compost soil in my containers.  Then we waited and watched.  Before too long we had sprouts coming up from our starters.

Facts for next year so I will remember and learn from this years potato adventure:

- Type: Russian Fingerling, 5 cut into approx 16 pieces
- Planting Date: April 20
- Containers: Green pop up potato containers with reach in slot to retrieve potatoes later


Scientist McKenzie ready to see how potatoes grow!



Starter pieces ready for their dirt cover.  Good thing it's rainy now so we know these will get water.  The kids know you need a starter or seed, dirt, water and sun to make things grow.



In go the potatoes!





We also got some nice spring flowers for the backyard while we were at the nursery.  So nice to have some color in the yard this time of year.  Looking forward to everything starting to grow this Spring!


No comments: