July 6, 2011

Dancing With The Stars!

We have been practicing for McKenzie's big dance recital since last September so we were very ready for the recital when it finally rolled around.  We had a dress rehearsal on the Wednesday before the show and McKenzie did great getting up on the big stage and dancing.  I was a little worried since she told me on the way there that she didn't want a rat to bite her.  Seeing the Mouse King bite the girl in the opening of the Nutcracker really stuck with her and she was sure a mouse would bite her on the stage.  Once we over came that issue she was ready to shine!

I couldn't believe the number of kids and acts that were in the performance, it was really impressive. McKenzie's class was act 32 out of 38 which is a long time to wait for little girls but they all did fantastic.  The rehearsal really made the actual recital seem even more exciting since it meant that more people would get to see her perform what she'd been working so hard on.

Here's her costume that I was waiting to reveal.  I was hoping it would be very fun and frilly for these little dancers and boy did I get my wish.  Here's our beautiful dancer in her full costume!


McKenzie looking serious before the show.  The girls had to wait patiently backstage while all the other acts went which can be hard for little girls who are missing their nap times but the girls did amazing.  I was just hoping that there were no tears or nose picking.


This was taken during the rehearsal when we were allowed to take pictures / video.  This is the end of their routine to Old McDonald.  


McKenzie with her flowers from her adoring fans.  Grandma Z and Aunt Jennifer were so supportive to come spend an afternoon watching her performance.

Within minutes of getting into the car she fell asleep in full costume still clutching the flowers from her fans.


Grandma Z has always had a picture of Aunt Jennifer with her ballet class from when she was 3 or 4 in her bathroom and for years I have admired that picture and how cute it is as an accent to the room.  I was really hoping that I might create my own version of that for one of my bathrooms but I'm not sure the color of McKenzie's costume would work in my house so perhaps I'll try the black and white version! 


Here's the full routine that I taped during the dress rehearsal.  Love seeing that little girl dancing her heart out on that stage!  McKenzie is in the back row on the far right.

1 comment: