July 18, 2009

Where to draw the line.

Before you have kids you hear how it takes over your life. Of course I heard this but I still thought, no that won't be me, I will do things differently. Then before I knew it my house was transformed into a plastic shanty town and I now find myself enjoying things like goldfish and boxed macaroni and cheese again. Not so much because they taste good, because they don't, but it's the fact that you actually get a bite in yourself when your child is enjoying their meal too.

So back to my point, children really do take over your life, your house, your everything and you find yourself letting little things slide but really where do you draw the line? Today I went to the store with Ben while McKenzie was napping and Matt was taking a break from the yard. I saw a lady driving a minivan, which is a level I have yet to lower myself to - sorry minivan driver. I know they are convenient but I just can't go there yet. It wasn't just the minivan that really got to me but the fact that there were stickers all over the interior windows. Seriously, how do you let that slide? At what point would any sane person think that was okay? Last time I check cars cost money. Seriously people, if you ever see me driving a car with stickers on the windows have an intervention.

Our kids are crossing new lines in a good way. Ben has been getting up on all fours and rocking back and forth before lunging wildly forward in a mad attempt to crawl. McKenzie is quite the fish in the water. We headed out to Grandma and Grandpa Z's again this past weekend to swim. McKenzie with the aid of her swim floatee was swimming around the pool without touching anyone. She was dragging an air mattress from one end of the pool to the other and even jumping off the diving board! I fear I'm in for a long life of holding my breath as she jumps head first into life.

Here's a picture of Benny in his crawling stance. He has his tummy up and off the ground. Kenzie didn't do that until she was about seven months, she was way more into the commando crawl. I'll work on getting some good video of him - he's a man on the move!




McKenzie in her swim floatee and with a water noodle. Nothing could be better...

except pulling an entire air mattress around the pool by herself.


7 comments:

Esther V. said...

OMG...I have ONE sticker left on my back side window from at least 7 years ago when I babysat Charlotte!! I just can't throw it away...in fact I JUST washed the window and put the 'moon' back on where it belongs...HAD TO!! I'm her Grammer...
Wow...Ben's hair is behaving itself now!!! He looks so grown-up with the big boy hair-do.
McKenzie is as cute as ever..glad she loves the water too.

Kelli said...

Love McKenzie's pool floaty! We have been looking for something new for Cole -- we are currently using the water wings. Not sure they are up to 2009 safety standards. Your floaty looks much better!

Gina Lillie said...

I too feel like I will be holding my breath for the next, um, forever. Stand strong against the minivan. DON'T DO IT!

rachel said...

Please no "my child is an honor student at xxx school".

Anonymous said...

Ok, So I gave into the minivan, Toyota Sienna last August and I hate to say it but it was one of the best decisions, since having the kids. But you are right there is a line, and stickers on the window is not aloud in my car. Alina did this once (she actually put the sticker on the headrest mounted DVD player)and I lost it and said that if it happened again she would never see another sticker again, that worked. To make this story better it was a Target sticker with some chessy safety saying. Good luck with resisting the minivan but it's not as bad on the other side.

Rich and Stephanie said...

Ok so I have to agree with the no stickers on the window, however I said I would never be the mini van mom and well guess what I drive the coolest mini van. its a toyota Sienna and let me tell you there is nothing better than having room in the car on a 3 hour plus car ride!! Give it time and you two will give in to the mini van lure! :) Ps the kids are getting so big, we really need to get together soon.

S and J said...

I actually have a friend in Idaho who drives a sticker laden mini-van. Her house is in the same disaray as her mini-van. Note to self, no stickers in the car...you think that would be obvious though.