March 12, 2009

After Hours

"After Hours" used to mean something entirely different to me before having kids. It meant staying out doing something after even the bars had closed. Granted I didn't do this too often but at least it seemed like an option. These days "After Hours" has taken on a whole new meaning. Tonight it occurred to me how much I've enjoyed "After Hours" this past year and a half with McKenzie. To me "After Hour" now means the time at night after the kids had gone to bed when I could get things done around the house, spend time with Matt or work on things like my blog or scrap booking. This past month and a half with Ben on the scene I've been missing my "After Hours" time but tonight by some miracle (read extreme swaddle) I've had that time and it feels so good!

McKenzie was in her big girl bed by eight and Ben was out cold. After reading stories in McKenzie's room before she went to bed, I thought I'd try putting Ben in his crib in the nursery which is now officially his. I swaddled him up and tucked him in for his first real sleep in his crib. Before this he had been dozing for short periods during the "After Hours" either in the pack 'n play in our room, down in the dining room in his car seat or just on my lap where ever I was. But last night after hours and hours of holding him between sleeping and feeding I decided that it was time Ben had a bedtime too. So tonight I tested my new plan and I'm happy to report he's been sleeping soundly in his crib for the past three hours! Yes, I have checked on him seven or eight times to make sure he's still with us.

Here is a picture of Ben's door with a cute little pillow we just received from our friends Kelli, Shawn and Cole that says 'little prince sleeping' - too cute! Yes, that is a child lock on the knob since McKenzie is a baby Houdini and can not only reach door knobs and turn them but also can dismantle child locks in a matter of minutes. I did receive a helpful tip from my friend Carrie today to tape the pieces of child lock together to make them really child proof. What would I do without my friends?



Here's to the return of "After Hours"... cheers!

3 comments:

Esther V. said...

"baby Houdini"...that cracked me up...as I can imagine her on her tiptoes trying to open any door that is closed for the purpose of keeping HER out!! and she knows it..
same as those cupboard door locks...took Gramma some time to figure those out herself..but not the kids...
Your blogs are great, Colleen!

S and J said...

When you get some more "after hours" time, check out Carl's response on my re-gift post. He was quite offended that you guys weren't into the Tonight/Not Tonight pillows. He's funny.

Kelli said...

So glad to hear you are finally getting a little bit of time for yourself! The maiden voyage in the crib...good job! Glad the package arrived...sorry it was so late. The pillow on his door looks darling!