March 25, 2013

Kindergarten Art

One of the fun things I get to do now that McKenzie is in kindergarten is to volunteer in her school as the classes Art Docent.  That means I go into her class once a month and teach the kids about a new piece of art and then help them try a similar technique to make their own art.  It's been the perfect way for me to be engaged in McKenzie's class and meet classmates without too much time off work.  We have created some great projects and I've learned a lot mainly to use much smaller paper since it takes some kids forever to fill in a big sheet.  One of my favorite projects so far was creating a piece of art as a class for the school auction.

We made a fingerprint tree that represented the class starting their journey of education together.  I found the idea on Pinterest and was even able to locate a tree that could be downloaded and printed out so all we had to do was add the fingerprints in.  



My neighbor Heidi generously donated the framing to give it that finished look and off it went to the auction.  I was a bit worried it wouldn't compete with the older kids classes but it held its own and sold for $800!  It was amazing that the kindergarten class could be such a big part of bringing a new playground to their school.  I will have have to try to do a year end show of all the art projects we've done over this year.  

2 comments:

Carl Z said...

WOW! That IS a great looking tree, but $800 - SWEET !!! How's that for a little "validation" oh great Mom / Art Docent :-)

Gina Lillie said...

I am so going to steal your ideas next year when it's my turn.